Tuesday, December 29, 2009

ode to a decade

Dear 00’s,

You’ve taught me a great deal. There was a lot of anguish, but also many good times. It’s through these years that I’ve experienced the most growth. I am so thankful for becoming closer to the Lord Jesus Christ and for the blessings of Jeff and Owen. I pray that in the next year and the

following decades that I continue to grow.

In short and chorological order:

-losing my mom
-living abroad
-graduating college
-meeting Jeff
-nyc for three years
-moving back to upstate ny
-buying our first house
-going back to work at my old high school
-having owen
-getting back in check with my faith
-getting married
-getting cancer
-mending relationships
-remission

One of my favorite bible verses and one that speaks to my decade:

“Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us.” Romans 5:3-5

Blessings to all in the New Year!

2 comments:

Mindy said...

Marlena, I read your list with such joy and sorrow. It has been a very growing decade for you. The line that caused me the most joy was "getting back in check with my faith." Then the other line "mending relationships." As the mother of many, I can say there is no greater joy than to know children walk in the truth. I praise God for your testimony. Truly you have experienced that suffering and joy always march hand in hand in the Scriptures. Blessings to you as you begin a new year of faith.

Marlena said...

thanks so much for your comment Mindy--you are so loving! it was uplifting. Really, it's so amazing that we 'found' each other, I feel grateful to have made this connection! the best to you and your family in 2010